Ward and William Heath Davis, laid out the town site that would become San Leandro, bounded by the San Leandro Creek on the north, Watkins Street on the east, Castro Street on the south, & on the west by the longitude lying a block west of Alvarado Street.
The city has a historic Portuguese population dating from when immigrants from the Azores and laborers from Hawaii began settling in the city in the 1880s and established farms and businesses.
The population was spread out with 18,975 people (22.3%) under the age of 18, 7,044 people (8.3%) aged 18 to 24, 23,469 people (27.6%) aged 25 to 44, 23,779 people (28.0%) aged 45 to 64, and 11,683 people (13.8%) who were 65 years of age or older. There were 32,419 housing units at an average density of 2,069.9 per square mile (799.2/km²), of which 17,667 (57.5%) were owner-occupied, and 13,050 (42.5%) were occupied by renters.The homeowner vacancy rate was 1.4%; the rental vacancy rate was 5.8%.The first inhabitants of the geographic region which would eventually become San Leandro were the ancestors of the Ohlone people, who arrived sometime between 35 BC.The Spanish settlers called these natives Costeños or "coast people" and the English-speaking settlers called them Costanoans.San Leandro was first visited by Europeans on March 20, 1772 by Spanish soldier Captain Pedro Fages and the Spanish Catholic priest Father Crespi.
San Leandro is located on the Rancho San Leandro and Rancho San Antonio Mexican land grants.
Both were located along El Camino Viejo, modern 14th Street / State Route 185.
The smaller, Rancho San Leandro, approximately 9,000 acres (3,600 ha), was given to José Joaquín Estudillo in 1842.
Contamination by gasoline, volatile organic compounds and some heavy metals has been recorded in a number of these lower elevation areas.
reported that San Leandro had a population of 84,950.
Maxwell House operates a coffee roasting plant, where the Yuban brand is produced.